Saturday, May 17, 2008

Corfu Dogs Make Great Pals

Why the subject line? Because as I write, one of the hostel's dogs (a largeish, part-german shepherd mutt) is lying right outside the door of this cafe, waiting for us to come out so he can walk with us back up to the Pink Palace. For some reason this dog in particular (there are three in all) has latched on to Max and I, following us with a wagging tail whenever we leave our rooms. He's a sweet creature, at least to us, but has caused some trouble, like last night when he followed us onto the patio of the restaurant we ate at (seaside, watched the sun set while we ate). The owner eventually noticed the large dog hanging around our table and asked us to eject him, saying he was a biter. We then had to work the entire meal at keeping him and his pathetic puppy eyes off the deck - thankfully the waiter gave us some cocktails on the house at the end of the meal to show their appreciation of our efforts.

Speaking of on the house, the proprietor of this cafe/free internet establishment just gave us each a mini croissant, perhaps to thank us for coming in every day and actually buying a drink instead of just using the free computers. Three cheers for Greek hospitality!

Our last day spent with Team Canada was lovely - we took an intense hike with Alberta (a.k.a. our three new friends from Lethbridge) right up the side of the hill/mountain at the end of the beach, getting some beautiful views and a major leg workout in the process. We even found a tiny, abandoned stone cottage at the top of the trail, all full of plants and surrounded by flitting butterflies. Apres-hike we met up with the other segment of T.C (the two other Ontario girls who just happened to also be Guelph grads...weird) and had a Greek feast for lunch. Gyros, fresh lemonade and yogurt & honey abounded and we all left perfectly satiated.

We saw our friends off on the bus a few hours later, and then there were two again. Max and I took a stroll, then (as previously mentioned) watched the sunset from a restaurant patio, then went back to our room and packed in preparation for 9 a.m. checkout.

Now we're hanging around Agios Gordos (the name of this town) until the 6:15 bus to Corfu Town to catch one ferry to get to the main ferry bound for Italy (Bari to be exact), and from there onwards to Florence. Time to steel myself for another full day of travel (ugh).

Before I leave, I'd like to list, mostly for Jer (my compatriot in bird watching) the various birdlife I've seen on this trip thus far:

-In London I saw Magpies and some really fat, strange-lookin' doves
-Istanbul didn't have much wildlife at all, but I did see beautiful hooded crows (I believe that's what they're called)
-Thus far on Corfu I've seen a zillion swallows (there seem to be two different species here, one with longer tail feathers and possibly a bit larger) and sparrows hunting for bugs in a field, hovering over grass stalks like hummingbirds

I'm sorry Jer, there haven't been that many actual exciting birds, but watching the swallows is quite entertaining.

That's all from Corfu - next time I write I'll be in Italia!

1 comment:

Jeremy Hatt said...

Jess!!! Sounds like you and Max are having a great time :D

No worries on the bird sightings. Seeing Magpies would be sweet though! A quick update on my end: 2 lifers (Mottled Duck and Lark Bunting) and a GREAT May migration this year.

I love reading your posts. My favourite is your description of swimming in the sea. Beautiful. I felt like I was floating there myself.